Introduction: Gifts for Her
Picking out gifts for your girlfriend/wife/significant other may seem like a daunting task at first, but fret not my friends, for the Gift Monk is here! Below you’ll find the Gift Monk’s Official Gifts for Her Guide. Whatever the occasion, whoever the recipient, this guide designed to not only help you brainstorm ideas, but also bring to light factors to consider and provide recommendations with the ultimate goal of helping you arrive at the perfect gifts for her.
Before we get started, a couple basics and things to remember:
- Make the gift personal: You know her better than we do so pick something that’s related to her interests or ambitions.
- It’s not about the money: A thoughtful gift beats an expensive one. Set a budget and stick to it.
- Get a card: These are essential. JustWink has a ton of fun customizable templates and convenient mobile app. Her reaction to a thoughtful card is well worth the 15 minutes it’ll take you to write.
- Flowers: Whether a big bouquet or a single rose, you literally can’t go wrong with flowers to start. Just do it.
And now onto the gifts!
Plan a surprise trip - take her to new and exciting lands
Spa day - book her a day to just relax and enjoy a calming spa experience
Home-cooked meal - show off your culinary abilities and impress her taste buds with a home-cooked meal
This is probably one of the first things thought of when considering gifts for her, and for good reason. Jewelry looks great, can be worn repeatedly and help make her feel even more beautiful than she already is. With that said, jewelry preferences are very particular from person to person so here are a few tips to help you make your selection:
- Know her style preferences: Does she prefer elegant classically styled pieces or bolder contemporary statement pieces? What metal type and gemstones does she prefer? Pay attention to the jewelry she wears currently and pick something in a similar realm.
- Don’t be afraid to ask: Chances are her close friends/siblings know her jewelry preferences better than you do.
- Avoid rings: unless your about to propose or get married, don’t get a ring.
- Check for metal allergies: some metals like copper cause allergic reactions because they corrode over time.
- Know her size: …if you do decide to get her a ring, make sure you know her ring size. Just grab 1-2 of her existing rings to figure that out. The last thing you want to ruining your special gifting moment is a ring that doesn’t fit.
The Gift Monk’s Select Jewelry Picks
- Luv AJ Double Barbell Cuff ($125)
- 18k Yellow Gold and Diamond Stud Earrings (1/3 cttw) ($435)
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Cream Double Wrap Strand Necklace, 40″ ($78)
Other Jewelry Resources
- Amazon’s Best Rated Jewelry – Amazon has broad selection of jewelry selection for every budget.
- Etsy Jewelry – For more artsy, handcrafted jewelry
- BaubleBar – For the latest jewelry trends backed by strong editorial content
If diamonds are a girl’s best friend, then handbags are her entourage. Do you know of any woman that would say no to another handbag? Neither do we. Handbags make great gifts for her because they’re a way for her to express her personal style, they have utility (i.e., they store stuff), and it’s absolutely normal for women to have multiple (you can never have too many). For these reasons, our team here at The Gift Monk regularly fall back on recommending handbags as a go-to gifts for your loved ones.
As with all fashion pieces, there are some particulars you should consider before picking a handbag:
- What does she need? Said differently, what does she already have? If she already has plenty of over the shoulder bags, but doesn’t have something small to go out with, then get her a wristlet or clutch. If you see her struggling to cram a bunch of stuff into her purse, opt to get her a larger tote bag.
- Style & Colors: As with all fashion items, this ultimately depends on what she prefers. For gifts, we recommend to go with neutral colors – your blacks, browns, creams, whites and so on. You want to get her something versatile that can be paired with different outfits, and these colors can go with almost everything. That being said, if you see a flashier, bright-colored bag would go well with one of her favorite outfits, then feel free to go for it.
- Practicality and Durability: When women use a bag, they’re usually carrying it for the entire day. You want to make sure to pick something that’s both practical and durable. Read reviews to see the quality of the materials, the durability of the construction, and how comfortable it is to carry for an extended period of time. Make sure there are enough compartments inside to store various items.
- Brands and Authenticity: Pick a designer that you think she would wear. There are tons of counterfeit handbags floating around the Internet these days. Make sure you buy from a reputable retailer to avoid buying a fake. If the sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
The Gift Monk’s Select Handbag Picks
- Vera Bradley Triple Zip Hipster Cross Body Bag ($58)
- kate spade new york Cobble Hill Stacy Wallet ($128)
- Michael Kors Jet Set Travel Medium Stud Tote ($429-$499)
- Gucci Soho Chain ($999)
Other Handbag Resources
- Amazon Fashion: Women’s Handbags and Wallets – Amazon’s newest and best handbags. They’ve got a huge selection from some of the trendiest brands out there today.
- Purse Blog Gift Guides – Guides curated by the best experts in the purse and handbag space
- HSN Handbag Guide – Clutches, satchels, totes, wristlets… check this out if you need a refresher on handbag 101
Picking articles of clothing as gifts for a woman can be tricky. Like jewelry, color and style preferences are very different from person to person. Just because the hottest A-list actresses are wearing an outfit doesn’t mean your significant other would. Pick a style she’s not comfortable wearing and you risk damaging her self esteem (i.e., “you want me to look like that?!”).
Complicating things even further are sizes; choosing the right size is both vital and difficult to do. A size 4 at one isn’t necessarily a size 4 at the next store. Two different outfits, even if the same size, might fit differently on her. Pick the wrong size or an unflattering fit and your gift won’t get worn. Generally speaking, unless you’ve 1) been dating for a longer period of time and know her tastes well, 2) been clued in on a specific piece she wants, or 3) a fashion guru, we recommend you avoid gifting clothing.
With that said, if done correctly, clothing can still make a great gift. Clothing can make her feel great about herself and also serve as a reminder of you every time she wears it. If you do decide to gift clothing, be sure to follow these tips:
- Venture into her wardrobe: the best place to start is to looking for ideas is her current wardrobe. Note down the colors she typically wears and what style the pieces are. Are her clothes tighter or looser fit? Do her tops cover up more or lower cut? How much skin do her outfits show? What brands does she normally wear? Note these details down and pick something accordingly. Below is a helpful graphic from the folks at visual.ly to help you determine the right fit for your significant other.
- Get her size right: Look at those little tags! Note sizes from a few different brands – your girlfriend or wife may be a size 2 in one store and a size 4 in another. Ideally you want to look at pieces shes worn recently, just in case she keeps older clothing around that doesn’t fit well anymore.
- Look at her Pinterest: chances are she has an account and a special board dedicated to fashion that she likes. Use her pins as a reference.
- Ask her what she thinks: if you’ve got some time before the actual gifting occasion, you can ask her what she thinks about similar pieces.
- Plan an outfit: to go above and beyond, gift an outfit and not a single piece. What type of accessories/shoes/jewelry would look good with the piece of clothing you’re considering?
Our overall recommendation for gifting clothes is to play it safe. Don’t get anything overtly sexual or anything too different than what she already wears.
The Gift Monk’s Select Clothing Picks
- Adrianna Papell Women’s Beaded Neck Halter Ruffle Front Dress ($145)
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Women’s Bold Logo Scarf ($64)
- Nanette Lepore Women’s Mesmerizing Color-Block Trench Coat ($598)
- Gucci Grey Leather Calf Boots with Tassles ($699)
Other Clothing Resources
- Amazon Fashion: Women’s Shop – very few place beat Amazon’s breadth of product offerings
- eshakti – pushing the custom clothing trend. You can customize size, design, and also get free shipping
- Style Guides – the folks at Tellonme put together a helpful list of women’s style guides from various sources across the web. Take a read through the on relevant to your partner as they’ll be helpful in finding the right clothing gifts for her.
Plan a Surprise Trip
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer”
There is nothing more exciting than a vacation, which is why a surprise trip serves as one of the best gifts for her. You both get to enjoy each other’s company while tasting new foods, seeing new sights, and trying new activities in foreign lands. Travel is relaxing, invigorating and enriching all at the same time.
With that said, planning a surprise trip takes diligent planning. Here are the key things to think through:
- Destination: Obviously you’ll want to first figure out where you’re going. Think back to your conversations with your girlfriend or wife and pick a destination she’s shown interest in before. If you’re on a tighter budget, there are plenty of great places to visit domestically too.
- Scheduling: You’ll need to make sure her calendar is free so the earlier you start planning the better. It might also be smart to loop in a colleague or boss of her’s so they can help make sure everything goes smoothly schedule-wise.
- Activities: Do your research ahead of time and look up a few local must-sees and activities to do while you’re there. There are a ton of free online resources like Viator and GetYourGuide that can help you figure out what there is to do once you land.
- Travel documentation: Make sure both of your passports/IDs are up to date. Also do a quick check to see if your destination requires a travel visa.
- Shared accounts: If your girlfriend/wife happens to have access to any of your travel or credit card account activity, make sure to make purchases on a separate account. The last thing you want is a booking confirmation email ruining the surprise.
Other Trip Planning Resources
- Travel Accessories – stock up on all your travel accessories before you hop on the plane
- Viator/GetYourGuide – two of the best local activity/travel guide sites available online
- Airfare Watchdog – useful website to track and alert you when ticket prices to a particular destination drop
Another one of our favorite go-to gifts for her are gadgets. There’s something exciting about having the latest tech and every once in a while you find a gift that they don’t know how they ever could’ve lived without. As with any gift though, you should definitely put in adequate research before you make your gift pick. Here are some items to keep in mind:
- Does she already have one? Seems obvious but it’s common for people to already have multiple gadgets these days. If she just bought an iPad six months ago, then you probably don’t need to get her the newest version. If her smartphone upgrade cycle comes up in six months, then you shouldn’t be getting her the new iPhone.
- Does it fit her interests? Yes, those new Fitbit devices do seem very cool – but does your girlfriend even like working out? There are so many nifty gadgets out there, but make sure you can actually see her using what you want to get her.
- Evaluate product Quality: With all the options out there, making a decision on which device to get. Make sure you do your research and read up on reviews before you pick which one you buy.
The Gift Monk’s Select Gadget Picks
- CUFF Lisa Smart Pendant Necklace ($120)
- Fitbit Charge ($146)
- Amazon Echo ($179)
- iPad Air 2 ($429) – read our full review here
Other Gadget Resources:
- Amazon’s Top Selling Electronics – get a sense for what everyone else is buying
- CNET Reviews – great source for reviews on any gadget you could possibly have in mind
Other Gift Ideas
The five categories of gift ideas were a few of the most common that come to mind. There are, of course, many more out there. Below is a list of some of our other things that would make great gifts for her:
- Subscription Boxes – The gift that keeps giving – subscription boxes are all the rage right now and they’re great because they give her something to look forward to each month. Some of the popular ones out there are Birchbox (beauty products), FabFitFun (fashion/fitness products) and StitchFix (clothing).
- Membership to a service – we’re talking about memberships to Netflix, Spotify, Amazon Prime, etc.
- Concert/show tickets – get her a few tickets to her favorite band when they’re in town. If she’s into theater, you could also look to see if any Broadway shows are performing nearby
- Classes – we mean the fun kind. Whether it’s painting, cooking, dancing or bartending, there are a ton of interesting classes out there. You could even get her an online class so she doesn’t have to leave the comfort of her own home. If she’s ever expressed interest in trying something new, this would be a great way to help her do that.
- DIY gift – nothing shows you care more than something handcrafted. It could be a scrapbook, a personalized cork-board, a romantic message in a bottle, or some “open when…” cards. Pinterest is full of great ideas if you’ve got some artistic ability.
- Spa day – tell her to clear her calendar for a day and book her an appointment at a nice massage parlor. Throw in a mani/pedi and maybe a facial too if you can. If you want to get in on it too, you can book a couples massage.
- Cook her a romantic dinner – every woman loves a man who can cook. If you’ve got the skills, show it off and whip together a delicious culinary experience for your significant other
So there you have it! The Gift Monk’s Official Gifts for Her Guide. Hopefully the ideas above will help spur some ideas of your own for gifts for your girlfriend. Remember, for whatever you end up choosing, make sure that it comes from the heart and that you put some real thought into it. At the end of the day the personal touches are what make a good gift great.
If you have any gift ideas that you think belong on this list, or would like to get our input on a gift you’re thinking about getting for your loved one, feel free to shoot us an email at [email protected].