The Gift Monk’s Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
What We Liked (Pros)
- Price: It’s unbeatable! Available now on Amazon for $50, you won’t find anything that comes close to the Amazon Fire. The base model comes with 8 GB of space, WiFi capability and a micro SD slot to expand storage if you like. And if you like your tablets like your beer, you can get 6 tablets for the price of 5 and it comes in a neat six pack!
- Battery Life: The Amazon Fire claims up to 7 hours of reading, surfing the web, streaming video or listening to music. For the casual user, this is more than enough!
- The Build: While it may not be the most glamorous option, the Amazon Fire is certainly sturdy. Weighing in at 11 ounces, you won’t feel like you have to handle it as gently as some other tablets out there. It also fits comfortably in the palm of your hand for comfortable usage.
- The Screen: The 7″ display is the perfect size for reading an e-book or streaming video while you’re traveling.
- The User Experience: Coming from an Apple-only environment, we were pleasantly surprised by the Fire’s OS 5 Bellini. Quick and easy to navigate, the interface is simple to figure out and enhances the Amazon Prime membership.
What We Didn’t Like (Cons):
- The Performance: The Fire tablet can get bogged down if there are more than a handful of apps running simultaneously. Download times are a little on the slow side, but for the price, it performs much better than we expected.
- The App Store: Amazon’s app store is a bit underwhelming if you’re used to the Apple App store or Google Play. It does however come with Amazon Underground, a separate app store where over $10,000 in apps, games and in-app purchases are completely free. You won’t have the most recent, trendy apps but Amazon Underground is certainly a nice consolation.
- The Ads: The $50 base model comes with ads on the home screen. It’s a minor nuisance that can be removed if you pay an extra $15 for the tablet.
The Bottom Line:
Amazon’s Fire tablet won’t put you on the cutting-edge of technology, but it’s the perfect gift for the more budget-minded shoppers out there. The Fire also makes a great first-tablet for kids, the not-so-tech-savvy and Amazon Prime members!